Education at United Parish of Auburndale
Continued growth in the knowledge and love of God is of prime importance to our congregation. Our Christian Education program is available to all who seek to begin or continue their faith journey.
Use the links below to further explore the Christian Education Ministry here at United Parish of Auburndale.
- Christian Education
- Christian Education Schedule
- Sunday School
- Sunday School Events
- Youth Ministry
- Youth Event
A Note From Education Director, Sheryl Ellis
As a long time Christian my faith started as a child and continues to grow every day. I believe that learning about the love of Jesus Christ and building a strong relationship with God is a life-long endeavor. I also believe that it is important to walk that journey with others and to share what we have learned along the way. I hope to provide an opportunity for all ages to explore their faith and deepen their knowledge and understanding of God and to know that the journey is always ongoing. To facilitate this, I hope to provide many opportunities for all ages to come together in a learning environment that works to strengthen our relationships with God, with each other, and with our world. Whether you are starting your faith journey, continuing to grow your relationship with God or needing to begin again, with the help of the Holy Spirit, I will work with you and support you along the way.
Major 2018 Activities:
- The Whirl curriculum continues to be used for Sunday School, while our youth are responding well to lessons that include video and activity components. Finding teachers each week continues to at times be challenging—we are thankful to all the parents and parishioners who volunteer their time and talents to help teach and guide our young people.
- Regular Service Sundays are offered and will continue into 2019, to help engage students with outreach.
- In February, our youth enjoyed the annual ski trip in New Hampshire.
- In June, 20 youth and chaperones again traveled on a mission trip with the Appalachian Service Project. For a week, the team assisted in home repair for families in need in Scott County, TN.
- In August 10 youth and chaperones traveled to DownEast Maine to volunteer with the Maine Seacoast Mission, repairing homes and connecting with residents.
- Children’s Sunday in June featured performances by our Rock Band and Children’s Choir, as well as children’s bell choir performances, conducted by our youth.
- Activities throughout the year included an Easter Egg Hunt; scarecrow building for the Pumpkin Patch; monthly game nights for confirmation students and mentors; a workshop to create greeting cards for children’s families and patrons of Bristol Lodge in December; and the Christmas Pageant.
Plans for 2019:
- Continued development of outreach opportunities and activities for parish youth, including continued fundraising for the “Shoes That Grow” initiative.
- Adult education opportunities under the leadership of Bob and Carol Dutton will resume this spring, including “Vital Conversations: Conversations About Race” led by Reverend Erica Robinson-Johnson and another section of Living the Questions video series exploring progressive Christianity.
- A Children/Youth musical is under consideration for Spring 2019.
Eleven volunteers traveled to Sholan Farms in Leominster, MA, on Sunday, harvesting 14,000 pounds of McIntosh apples for Boston Area Gleaners.